Friday, August 7, 2009

The Reason I go by "Decuir"

For those who dont know, but Decuir is my last name. Over the past few years, people want to just call me by my last name; even tho I have a first name...But it all started back in 6th grade. Ill never forget, i had a social studies teacher name Mrs. Boudreaux..She is what i call a Super AKA (alpha kappa alpha)...She was the type to wear a pink and green ribbon in her hair, an AKA shirt, with AKA socks, with pink and green tennis shoes....She was in her 60's, so she was old school..Jackson State to be exact.(luv the boom!)....Well me and my cousin who last name was Collins was best friends at the time and we always hung out with each other, and sat by each other...Every day in class she would yell DECUIR!! or COLLINS!! to get our attention, and she would later call us by our last name for the next 3 years....She was a good teacher, but she got on everybody nerves sometimes...I wonder where shes at now???

Fast forward to high school. I was in the band (of course), and for some reason my Band Director always called everybody by their first name, but mine....

Roll Call would go like this:
Bill
Arron
Eric
Joseph
DECUIR
Katherine
etc etc

So, I was known as Decuir during my HS band days...

When I entered the college level of band, basically noone knew ppl names, so your name was the instrument you played: "Hey, trumpet player!" "Yo, Tuba!"

My name really hit hard when I was made a Mason. When i introduced myself to my friends, from which later became my brothers, they just started calling me Decuir by default...Espically the "older" brothers..(When i mean "older", im talking about the 40+ age group)....

So now when I travel or meet people, my first name doesnt really matter anymore..Im just Decuir now...

I gotta get back to work, its nap time.

No comments:

Post a Comment